McClellan Park – A Sarasota Historic Neighborhood
The 56 acres of which is now McClellan Park was once inhabited by Native American Indians. Hence, the inspiration behind the Seminole street names came about after an Indian mound from the Calusa tribe was discovered on the property by Katherine and Daisietta McClellan. Although the community itself was a modern development, early records indicate the clubhouse was also designed with an Indian theme.
The clubhouse, located at 1700 Seminole Drive, was built and opened on March 6, 1916. Nearby tennis courts, which no longer exist, were the highlight of a highly successful tournament, which was part of the grand opening. In addition to tennis, the community offered croquet and clock golf, a game based on golf, originating in the mid-nineteenth century. A yacht basin was dredged for the use of guests and residents along with a sandy area for swimming.
Advertising for the community emphasized the close proximity to downtown and the recreational amenities. Lots were originally listed between $800 – $2500. Each lot offered water from an artesian well, electricity, telephone, and a shared septic system between two lots. Unfortunately, the proximity from downtown did not create the allure they hoped. The distance was unattractive to buyers at this price point. Lots eventually sold between $450 – $900. In 1923, a new developer in the area purchased the remaining unsold lots, but the McClellan sisters continued to run a tea room in the clubhouse. The McClellan’s vision of every lot having a water view did not carry over with the future development. Today, the community is a mix of historic homes and architectural styles reflecting the McClellan Park Sarasota history through the years.
If you like west of the trail historic neighborhoods, you might also like Cherokee Park.
McClellan Park Sarasota Homes for Sale
McClellan Park Zip Code: 34239
Vacant Lots for Sale in McClellan Park
McClellan Park Schools
In 1932, the building that was once the McClellan Park Club House and tea room, was turned into the McClellan Park School. The private school was housed in the building for almost 70 years, with many of the local residents having attended the school.
Today, the historical building sits vacant, yet there are many quality public and private schools which serve the McClellan Park community.